On June 6, 1944 an organizational meeting was held in order to form Griffin-Spalding County Community Chest
Griffin-Spalding County Community Chest was approved in 1945 by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501© (3) organization.
August, 1964 the name Griffin-Spalding County Community Chest was changed to Griffin-Spalding County United Fund.
June, 1991 the Board made a decision to hire a full time Executive Director. Prior to this time, the Chamber of Commerce was paid to handle the administrative duties.
During the same year the Art Hammond of First Union Bank agreed to provide furnished office space for a fee of $1,000 per year. And, that is where the office is today.
In 2019 the Griffin-Spalding County United Way celebrates 75 years of service in Griffin-Spalding County.